Sunday, March 2, 2008

Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart said that "Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.” Do you agree or disagree with his opinion? Why?

According to the dictionary.com, censor is defined as "any person who supervises the manners or morality of others." If this is the job of censor, then what Potter Stewart said is true or I agree. Personally, I am bad at picking something and i tend to be a follower. Whenever my parents ask me, what I want for dinner, my answer would be "i don't care or I don't know." On the other hand, my brother can make up his mind easily and sometimes, he can make change our mind. I thought this could be a example of what this quote means. If the censor's idea is strong enough and can even manipulate the idea so it sounds right to change other's mind, then this shows that other people lost their confident and just follow whatever the censor told them. I think censorship exist because society is lacking enough confident to let one group or even person to change its mind. 

2 comments:

301blogspring08 said...

I like the example you gave because it happens all the time and we don't realize it. I also agree that censorship occurs when an individual tries to change the mind of others.

Summer21 said...

I also agree with you about how one person tries to change other people's mind like "Vickie Frost" convinced other parents to pull their children out of reading class. I liked your example too. And, we encounter these kinds of situations on a daily basis without even knowing it's happening.